With the warmer months approaching, we’re enjoying sweet treats that are a little fruity. Enter the Raw Vanilla Coconut Fig Slice, dreamed up by Karen of health food blog Secret Squirrel Food. They’re vegan, gluten-free, and sugar-free, whilst still managing to taste totally indulgent (not to mention the fact that they look amazing). Whip up a batch for your next outdoor party and wait for the compliments to roll in. Here’s how:
Walnut Fig Base
10.5cm x 20.5cm loaf tin
½ cup walnuts
¼ cup almonds
2 tbsp desiccated coconut
2 tbsp flaxseeds
½ cup dried figs
½ cup medjool dates (pitted)
½ tbsp water
½ tsp cinnamon
Vanilla Coconut Cashew Cream
½ cup cashews (soaked in water overnight)
½ cup coconut milk
½ cup desiccated coconut
2 tbsp maple syrup ½ tsp vanilla bean paste
Fresh fig slices to decorate
- For the base, add all ingredients into a food processor and process until the mixture sticks together when pressed between the fingers.
- Line tray with cling film.
- Pour mixture into tin and carefully press firmly using the back of a spatula until base is completely flat and even.
- Put into the freezer to set, whilst you make the vanilla coconut cashew cream.
- For the coconut cream, add cashews to a food processor and process for a few minutes.
- With the food processor still running, slowly add the coconut milk, maple syrup and vanilla bean paste.
- Keep processing until the mixture becomes very smooth and creamy.
- Add desiccated coconut and pulse to combine.
- Pull the walnut fig base out of the freezer and fill with the coconut cashew cream layer.
- Put back into the freezer for 2 hours to set. Slice can be kept in the freezer until serving (let defrost for approximately 15 mins for cream to soften).
- Decorate with fresh figs, slice carefully with a sharp knife and enjoy.
To keep up with Karen’s recipes, you can follow her on Instagram here.